Leaving Taiwan – Things I Didn’t Do Here
- Get a motorcycle. I almost went for it since I was freaking out driving a car. But then, my dinner neighbor talked how much more front teeth and chin injuries she saw in her practice in Taipei. I chickened out.
- Take a soak in a public hot spring. I just could not make myself go naked in public.
- Have my facial hair thread-removed. There is a row of old ladies at the Shilin bus stop who are specialized in this. Each has a cart, a wash basin, and a special white paste. Every time I stopped to watch them, but I couldn’t do it.
- Taste betel nuts. I read them in novels when I was young. Men chew them and spit “blood” onto the sidewalks. Several times I saw my taxi drivers chew them. But they said it is not for ladies.
- Eat cow’s testicles. Do I need a reason?